1. Preheat oven to Roast 400° F.
2. Make the Chanterelle sauce: Heat large skillet on medium high heat. Melt butter or olive oil and sauté shallots until soft and translucent, about 1 minute. Add chanterelle mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add heavy whipping cream, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes on low simmer. Season sauce with salt, pepper and herbs. Gently keep sauce warm while you cook the steaks (preferably using the ExtraLow® function).
4. For the Steaks: Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper.
5. Heat a large oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat. When very hot, place steaks in skillet and sear until a nice dark crust develops, approximately 1-2 minutes on each side.
6. Place pan directly into the oven and cook for 5-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your steaks and desired doneness. (Test by pressing and feeling steak firmness or check the internal temperature with a thermometer for steak doneness; 130-135°F for medium rare, 155-165°F for medium well.)
7. Remove steak from pan and set aside covered with foil. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
8. Sauce the steaks with the chanterelle cream sauce and serve.
For the steaks:
2 (10 oz) NY Strip Steaks, at room temperature
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
For the Chanterelle Mushroom Cream Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 Tablespoons minced shallots
1/2 pound chanterelle mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves