3 Tablespoons (42g) unsalted Butter, plus more for the baking dish
¾ cup (ml) Heavy Cream
¾ cup (240ml) Milk
1 whole Vanilla Bean, split lengthwise
2/3 cup (110g) packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ teaspoon ground Cloves
½ pound (455g) Strawberries, tops removed sliced ¼” thick
½ pound (225g) day-old Rustic White Bread with crusts removed, cubed ¾” pieces
Butter a 2-quart (2-L) baking dish.
1. In a saucepan, combine the 3 tablespoons butter, the cream, and the milk. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream and add the pods to the pan. Add the brown sugar. Over medium heat warm the mixture to a warm but not scalding temperature, stirring to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, and cloves.
3. Remove the vanilla pods from the milk mixture and slowly whisk the milk mixture into the egg mixture.
4. Layer half of the bread slices in the prepared baking dish. Layer in half of the cut strawberries.
5. Layer the remaining bread over the strawberries. Layer the remaining strawberries. Pour the milk-egg mixture over the bread. Press down gently on the bread to help the top layer absorb the liquids.
6. Set the baking dish aside for 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the liquids fully.
7. Preheat the oven to 300°F on Steam Convection Mode.
8. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove foil and finish baking for another 20-30 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown on the top.
9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve warm or serve at room temperature.