1 pound mussels
1/2 pound clams
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
30 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme leaves, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
Crusty bread, sliced
Additional olive oil for brushing the bread
1. Clean and scrub mussels and clams. Remove beards from mussels if necessary. Set both aside.
2. Heat large saucepan on medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Add crushed tomatoes, wine, thyme, oregano, paprika, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Taste for seasonings and adjust to preferred taste.
3. While sauce is simmering, brush olive oil on both sides of bread and grill until golden brown. Set aside.
4. Increase the heat of the tomato sauce mixture to medium high. When sauce comes to a gentle boil, add mussels, shrimp and clams to the stew. Gently stir and pot until all the mussels and clams have opened and shrimp is cooked, about 5-10 minutes. Garnish with minced parsley.
5. Ladle stew into serving bowls and serve with the crusty bread.