1 small butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cups chopped kale leaves (about 1 small bunch) (or other greens such as mizuna mustard or Swiss chard)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
fresh ground black pepper
red chili flakes, optional
4-6 large eggs
about 1-2 cups marinara sauce, optional
1. Peel butternut squash and remove inner seeds. Cut squash into bite sized pieces, about 1/2” cubes. Make sure to keep the squash pieces the same for consistent cooking.
2. Heat large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and cook for about 2 minutes until soft. Add butternut squash and cook for about 15 minutes or until the squash becomes almost cooked on the outside.
3. Add kale, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion salt, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Stir the spices into the veggies until well combined and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until kale is crisp and butternut squash is completely cooked.
4. Reduce heat to low and break eggs on top of squash mixture and cover with a lid. Cook the eggs until the whites have set and the yolk is to your desired texture.
5. If desired, serve the squash and eggs with marinara sauce on top. Add additional red chili flakes for extra spice and flavor.