Tel: (402) 397-6100   |   Fax: (402) 255-6262
Hours: Monday - Saturday 10am - 9pm, Sunday 10am - 6pm
Nebraska Furniture Mart was founded by Russian immigrant Rose Blumkin in 1937 in the basement of her husband’s pawn shop in Omaha Nebraska. An American legend, Mrs. B, knew early in life that honesty and integrity would serve her well. Those beliefs laid the foundation for Nebraska Furniture Mart's rise to its status as a Midwestern retailing legend.
The growing success led to moves to various downtown locations, and the flagship store at 2205 Farnam eventually expanded to 120,000 square feet and operated in tandem with the present 72nd street location from 1970 to 1980. Joining his mother in the business in post-war 1946, son Louie contributed immeasurably to the growth and success of the business.
A devastating tornado in 1975 caused only a minor blip on the business record of the business. With millions of dollars in damage to the 72nd street store, Mrs. B and her son simply rebuilt bigger and better.
Impressed with the success, business savvy and honest dealings of the Blumkins, investor Warren Buffett and Mrs. B used a simple handshake to seal the purchase of 90% of the business for Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway portfolio in 1983. The 'Historic Omaha Handshake' plus a simple two-page written agreement were all that were required - no audit of the store's books, no inventory of its merchandise.
Until her death in 1998 at 104, Rose Blumkin rode the crest of a simple business tenet: "Sell cheap and tell the truth." The store, now under the leadership of her son Louie, and three grandsons, still adheres to this advice as Mrs. B's philosophy continues to help them meet each new challenge.
Amidst constant modernization updates to the store and 77-acre campus, a massive electronics and appliance store was added in 1994.
In 2000 a remodel of Nebraska Furniture Mart Omaha was completed. Also in 2000, the Homemakers store in Des Moines became a part of Nebraska Furniture Mart.
In 2003 Nebraska Furniture Mart added a 600,000 square foot state-of the art warehouse and distribution center and a new store in Kansas City, Kansas. The Kansas City store encompasses more than 1,000,000 square feet of retail and distribution facilities and became the first location outside of Omaha to offer its full compliment of products.