- Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Kohlrabi Salad, Apple Cider Gastrique
Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Kohlrabi Salad, Apple Cider Gastrique
Serving size: 2
For the Kohlrabi Salad:
3 each Kohlrabi (peeled & julienne)
1 each Peeled & Julienne Apple (Wine sap or honey crisp)
½ red onion thinly sliced
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons micro basil
2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1 each lemon (juice & zest)
Salt & pepper to taste
For the Gastrique:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup apple cider
4 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
2 each shallots
1 tablespoon expeller pressed vegetable oil
1 sprig of thyme
2 each lemons (juice only)
For the scallops:
6 each large dry sea scallops
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Set aside.
2. Next, for the gastrique, add oil to a sauce pan. On medium heat add the shallots, peppercorns, thyme. Sweat on low heat for five minutes. Add the apple cider. Let simmer 8 minutes. In another sauce pan add the sugar & water. Cook on medium high heat until the sugar starts to caramelize. When the sugar turns to light amber color add the lemon juice & vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the Cider reduction. Strain and set aside.
3. In a separate pan, add oil and heat pan on high. Sear sea scallops for 1 minute on each side.
4. Place the salad mixture onto plate, set scallops on top and drizzle the apple sider gastrique on top of that.