Stuffed Peppers with Couscous Filling
The yellow, orange and red bell peppers make an eye-catching platter and couscous is a nice change from rice. A staple in North African cuisine, couscous is actually a pasta, made from granular semolina.
Preparation Time: 15 min. Carbohydrates
Oven Mode: Convection Bake/ 325°F (do not preheat)
Rack Position: 3 (third from bottom)
Total Cooking Time: 40-50 min.
4 large peppers (yellow, orange, red or green)
1 lb. lean ground beef
¾ cup uncooked plain couscous
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
1 cup water
8 oz. cubed mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
1. Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and place in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine meat, couscous, onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
3. In a 4 cup measure, combine tomato sauce and water. Add 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce to the meat mixture. Mix in mozzarella cheese.
4. Divide meat mixture among peppers, mounding it if necessary.
5. Pour remainder of tomato sauce over and around peppers.
6. Cook in non-preheated oven, 40 to 50 minutes, until peppers are soft and meat temperature is 160°F.
For traditional (non-convection) baking:
Use Bake Mode at 350°F (do not preheat). Bake for 40-50 minutes.
1 SERVING: Calories 566, Protein 43 g, Carbohydrates 47 g, Dietary Fiber 6 g, Cholesterol 101 mg, % Calories from fat 37%, Fat Total 23 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Vitamin A RE 158 mcg, Vitamin C 351 mg, Sodium 1534 mg, % Calories from Carbohydrates 33%