Southwest Turkey Enchiladas
This is an excellent use for leftover cooked turkey or chicken. Serve the enchiladas with a fruit salad or tossed green salad and a refreshing sorbet for dessert.
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Oven Mode: Convection Bake/ 350°F
Rack Position: 3 (third from bottom)
Total Cooking Time: 35-40 min.
Servings: 5 to 6
3 cups cooked, diced turkey or chicken
3 cups (12oz.) shredded Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Sharp Cheddar cheese or a combination of cheeses
1 cup salsa
½ cup sliced green onion
1 (28 oz.) can enchilada sauce
10 corn tortillas (6-inch)
Optional toppings: sour cream, sliced ripe olives, cilantro sprigs, salsa
1. Place oven rack on position 3 (third from bottom). Preheat oven to Convection Bake/ 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking oil spray.
2. In a large bowl, toss together meat, 1 ½ cups of cheese, salsa and green onions
3. Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. To form the enchilada, place one corn tortilla in the baking dish; spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling down the center of the tortilla; roll up and place it seam side down in sauce. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas, arranging two rows of five tortillas crosswise in dish.
4. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas to cover. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. Uncover and sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1 ½ cups cheese. Return dish to oven, uncovered, for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
5. Let stand 5 minutes before serving with desired toppings
For traditional (non-convection) baking:
Preheat oven using the Bake Mode at 375°F. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
1 SERVING: 745 (56% from Fat), Fat 47g, Saturated Fat 26 g, Cholesterol 194 mg, Sodium 872 mg, Carbohydrates 36 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Protein 47 g, Vitamin A 2176 IU, Calcium 643 mg, Niacin 11 mg