From the Thermador and Tastespotting Ultimate Recipe Contest
Submitted by: Catherine Wilkinson
This is a variation of a berry butter cake Catherine makes for the holidays, She wanted to use chocolate (which screams HOLIDAY!) and this was a huge hit with my family! She loves the combo of ginger and dark chocolate, which makes the cake a bit sophisticated and not too sweet and cloying.
Easy, serves 8-10
Prep time: about 20 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes with 15 minutes cooling
For Butter Cake:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature PLUS a little extra soft butter for pan
1 1/2cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 large egg yolks
2 cups all-purpose flour PLUS a little extra for dusting pan
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
14 oz milk chocolate bar(s), roughly chopped into approx. 1/2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk (or more to reach desired consistency, which should be like syrup)
3 tablespoons crystallized ginger (candied), finely chopped
About 8 ounces dark (at least 50% cocoa) chocolate bar, finely chopped
To Make Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour a 10â€ diameter X 3â€ deep cake pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl and using an electric beater, beat together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Mix in the vanilla extract. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating for 15 seconds after each egg. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3. In a small mixing bowl, place the flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk until well incorporated.
4. Alternating with the buttermilk, add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture, blending well after each addition. Fold in the chopped milk chocolate pieces carefully.
5. Turn batter into prepared cake pan and level with spatula â€“ batter will be thick. Place in preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until tester inserted into middle of cake comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake for 10-15 minutes, then run a knife along the edge to loosen. Flip pan over onto serving cake plate so flat surface of cake is ready for glazing.
To Make Glaze: (while cake is cooling in pan)
1. Pour the melted butter into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add confectionersâ€™ sugar and milk, and mix well, with electric beater. Add more milk to reach desired consistency if needed. Blend in the chopped ginger and chopped dark chocolate bar.
To Glaze Cake:
Prick warm cake all over with fork. Pour glaze onto center of cake, spreading lightly with knife to edge of cake and letting glaze drizzle down the side. Chocolate will melt slightly on warm cake. Let cake cool completely before serving. To store, cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving