From the Thermador and Tastespotting Ultimate Recipe Contest
Submitted by: Katherine Martinelli
Katherine originally came up with this cake for Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year), but it would be equally appropriate for any holiday including Thanksgiving and Christmas. It can be served any time of day - it's just as good for breakfast as it is with afternoon tea or for dessert. The pomegranate seeds on top add a festive touch. It's moist and flavorful and couldn't be easier to make!
Easy; Makes 1 cake (about 12 servings); Prep time: 15 minutes; Bake time: 45 minutes
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg or ground cloves
1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup date honey (substitute regular honey if date honey is unavailable)
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
½ cup pomegranate juice
¼ cup sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
¾ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a small mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg or cloves. Set aside.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl stir together the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil until thoroughly combined.
4. Stir in the date honey, then whisk in the eggs one at a time.
5. Add the apple sauce and stir until fully mixed in.
6. Add the flour mixture one third at a time, making sure it is well incorporated before each addition.
7. Spoon the batter into a greased 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
8. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake 40 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly then invert onto a plate or board. Let it cool while you make the pomegranate glaze.
9. Combine the pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a small pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered and stirring frequently, until syrupy and reduced by about half (about 15 minutes).
10. Remove from the heat and stir in the pomegranate seeds.
11. Spoon the glaze over the cake and serve.