Enjoy this sweet and crispy snack any time of the day for a light pick-me-up.
Makes 10 eclairs
6 oz water
2 tbsp, 1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
¾ cup flour
2 medium eggs
¾ cup whipping cream
1½ tsp instant coffee powder
1-2 tsp sugar
¾ cup sugar
1-2 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp rum
1. Preheat the oven. Bring the water, butter, vanilla and salt to the boil in a saucepan.
2. Remove from heat. Add the flour all at once and stir in well. Reduce the heat and continue to stir the dough on the hotplate until it comes away from the bottom of the pan. Remove the pan from the hotplate, stir in one egg and gradually mix in the remaining eggs.
3. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Put the dough into a piping bag with a large star-shaped nozzle.
4. Pipe out finger-length strips, leaving space in between. Start close to the edge, as the eclairs rise very well in the steam. Slide in the baking pan at level 2 and bake with Combination at 400° F for 20 minutes.
5. To make the filling, beat the cream, coffee powder and sugar until stiff and spoon into a piping bag. Immediately after baking, slice open the eclairs with a serrated knife and leave to cool.
6. To make the glaze, stir together the sugar, a teaspoon of hot water, the coffee powder and rum.
7. Spread over the top half of each eclair. Pipe the filling into the bottom half and replace the top.