Enjoy this healthy and tasty dish as a late night snack or serve it to the kids for an after-school delight.
½ lb each of carrots, butternut squash, zucchini, romanesco
8 oz cream cheese
4 tbsp butter
¼ cup vegetable broth
Salt and white pepper
1 sprig of basil
Juice and zest of half an unwaxed lemon
1. Peel the carrots and butternut squash. Cut the carrots diagonally into thin slices and chop the butternut squash into cubes.
2. Halve the zucchini lengthways then cut diagonally into medium-sizes triangles. Separate the romanesco into florets.
3. Place the vegetables into the perforated cooking pan.
4. Slide in the cooking pan at level 3 and steam at 210°F for 7-10 minutes. Insert the baking pan underneath.
5. To make the sauce, heat the butter in a pan and, on a low setting, add the cream cheese one spoon at a time. Pour in the vegetable broth. Add lemon juice and zest to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped basil leaves before serving.
6. Arrange the vegetables on plates or layer them in glasses and serve with the sauce.
Cook’s tip: In order to achieve a uniform cooking time, chop the vegetables with the longest cooking time – in this case carrots – into small pieces. Chop vegetables with a short cooking time – in this case zucchini – into large pieces.